This article is a specific troubleshooting guide for Channel issues resulting from revoked permissions. These types of issues can arise from Channel disconnections or publishing errors, or as a consequence of certain Facebook Page or Instagram account permissions being revoked. This article shares a bit of context and contains instructions for resolving the problem.
In this article:
What Causes Revoked Permission Issues?
When a Facebook Page or Instagram account gets connected to Social Media Management, we require permissions to manage the asset on your behalf. It means that the user connecting the Channel is asked by Facebook to explicitly grant those permissions. A Channel can only be connected and successfully used in Social Media Management if all required permissions are granted.
However, Facebook does not just ask permissions for the specific Page you're trying to connect. Instead, they ask you to re-confirm all permissions that have been granted for all Pages in the Business Manager that are connected to Social Media Management.
If you experience frequent Channel disconnections, or publishing errors within Social Media Management, it might be related to the permissions of one Channel being revoked by the connection of another Channel. In that case, the rest of this article will help resolve the issues.
Restore Permissions for Facebook or Instagram Channels
You can restore permissions either from within Social Media Management or on Facebook natively:
Restore permissions from within Social Media Management
To restore the permissions for your Channels from within Social Media Management, you can simply reconnect your Channels and grant the permissions during the flow. You'll have to be an Admin or Team Lead user in Social Media Management, and an Admin of the Pages on Facebook.
- Hover over your user icon in the lower left-hand corner of the platform and select Settings from the menu.
- Click Channels under Channel Settings.
- Click on the Add Channels button.
- Click Connect under Facebook or Instagram.
- A pop-up window from Facebook will open. If requested, log into the relevant Facebook account.
- In the Facebook pop up, click on the Choose what you allow link.
Choose Select All for all of the checkbox options to grant all of the permissions for all of the Pages listed. Facebook does not grant certain required permissions if not all channels are selected. Social Media Management will never retrieve data for Channels that you don't connect to our platform, regardless of the permissions you grant here. After you have selected all of the checkboxes, click Continue at the bottom of the pop-up menu to return to Social Media Management.
- In Social Media Management, select all Channels that need to be reconnected to Social Media Management. Alternatively, go to the tab Connected Channels administrated by your organization and select any number of already connected Channels from there. Those Channels will be reconnected to Social Media Management with the updated permissions. Click the Connect Channels button in the bottom right.
- Choose a team to add the Channels to, and then click Finish.
You have now granted all required permissions for all Facebook Pages and Instagram accounts that are, or need to be, connected to Social Media Management. Any user who connects additional Facebook assets to Social Media Management in the future can simply click the Continue as *username* button at the start of Facebook's approval flow. That will always grant permissions to the new assets without revoking already granted permissions.
Restore permissions on Facebook natively
You can also restore permissions for your Pages on Facebook natively. In that case, you will need to be an Admin of those Pages on Facebook. You can follow the below steps to restore the permissions:
- Log into the relevant Facebook account.
Click on your profile icon in the top right and navigate to Settings and Privacy > Settings from the drop-down menu.
Scroll down and select the Business Integrations section.
Select View and edit next to Brandwatch.
- Grant all the permissions that are listed in the pop-up screen, and click Save.
Any disconnected Channels can now be reconnected to Social Media Management with all required permissions.