Keep an eye on all Facebook conversations surrounding your brand, even those happening outside of your page. In Engage, you can easily view instances where your page has been mentioned in the caption of a post, or in the comments of a post.
Below, find out exactly what Facebook mentions you can expect to see, how they will appear, and how to set up the right Engage feed.
In this article:
What Facebook Mentions Will I See in Engage?
On Facebook, users and pages can choose to mention your page in either the caption of a post or the comment to a post.
In Social Media Management, you can view and interact with instances where your page has been mentioned. However, Facebook API limitations may impact which mentions can be indexed based on who mentioned your channel and where. Please take a moment to check out the types of mentions you can expect to see in Engage:
- When a page mentions you in a post.
- When a user (personal profile) mentions you in a post.
- When a page mentions you in the comment of any Page post.*
- When a user (personal profile) mentions you in the comment of any page post.*
* Only comment mentions added to the comments of any page post (rather than a post from a personal profile) will be indexed. If your page is mentioned in the comments of a personal profile post, it will not be indexed.
Before you get started in Engage, please double-check that you have enabled mentions and tags in your Facebook Page’s settings as described below.
Enabling Mentions and Tags on Facebook
On Facebook, you can choose to limit how users can interact with your page. This includes removing the ability to mention and tag your page in all posts and comments.
By default, user mentions and tags should be enabled. However, any Facebook user with Manage Page access can make adjustments to this setting by following the steps below:
- While viewing the page on Facebook, locate the Manage Page menu on the left.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Settings.
- From the Settings menu, look for Others tagging this Page.
- Click Edit.
- Use the checkbox to make sure all permissions are enabled.
- Click Save Changes.
New Pages Experience
- While viewing your page, click your page's profile image from the top right.
- Click Settings & Privacy followed by Settings.
- From the Settings menu, click Privacy.
- Click Page and tagging.
- From the list of settings, scroll to Reviewing.
- Toggle settings to allow/prevent tag and mention reviews.
Setting Up Your Engage Feed
Provided you have enabled mentions for your page on Facebook, you can set up a new Engage feed for Facebook mentions by following the steps below:
- In Engage, click Add Feed in the top-right corner of your Feed overview (or, click Edit on an existing feed).
- Beside On network(s), select the Facebook icon.
- Beside Of type(s), select Mentions.
- If applicable, use other fields to specify channels, marked as read rules, or assigned users.
- Click Save Feed.
Interacting with Post Mentions in Engage
Posts which have mentioned your page in the caption will appear in Engage, whether posted by a page or a user (personal profile). However, each may appear a bit differently. Find out how you can view and interact with each type of mention below:
Post mentions (posted by a page)
When a page mentions your page in the caption of a post, it will appear similar to most other content in Engage — you can see the name of the page and the full post. You can also choose to like the post and add comments.
However, please bear in mind that it’s not possible to view all comments on the post. Instead, you can only view any comments on the post which have also mentioned your page.
Post mentions (posted by a personal profile)
When a personal profile mentions your page in the caption of a post, you will be able to see the full post in Engage. You can also like the post and add comments.
However, you will not be able to see the author's information (such as the name or profile picture) and you will only be able to see additional comments if they also mention your page.
Comments which also mention your page will be indexed. However, it’s not possible to associate any comment replies with their original comment. For this reason, all comments will be displayed individually.
Interacting with Comment Mentions in Engage
If either a user (i.e. personal profile) or a page mentions you in the comments of any page post, you can view that comment in Engage. The post in question can be posted by any page and does not have to mention your page. However, comment mentions on any post which was posted by a user (i.e. personal profile) will not be indexed.
When comment mentions are displayed in Engage, you can view the original page post and the comment which has mentioned you. Personal profile author information will not be visible, though you can still choose to like or add comments.