Besides creating ads in Advertise, Social Media Management also allows you to boost Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn posts to improve their performance using a Facebook or LinkedIn ad account you have connected to Social Media Management. Boosting posts enables you to quickly promote select posts from multiple tools in Social Media Management. You have the option to boost a Facebook post while you are creating it in Publish or boost a previously published Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn post, or boost an existing Facebook or Instagram post after you have viewed its post insights in Measure.
In this article:
Preparation for boosting posts
To boost posts in Social Media Management, your organization must first have:
- Connected a Facebook ad account (to boost Facebook or Instagram posts) or LinkedIn ad account (to boost LinkedIn posts).
- Connected any applicable Facebook channels, Instagram channels, or LinkedIn channels you would like to promote posts on to Social Media Management.
In Measure, it is currently only possible to boost existing Facebook or Instagram posts.
Any users who would like to boost posts in Publish or Measure must meet one of the following criteria:
- They can create posts in Publish (e.g. they have a user role of Content Creator or above) for the applicable Facebook and Instagram channels.
- They can create ads for the applicable ad account in Social Media Management (e.g. an Advertise user role of Promoter or Advertiser).
To create new campaigns and ad sets, a user will need to have an Advertiser role for the applicable ad account. Users with the Promoter role can only create ads using existing campaigns and ad sets.
When can I boost a post?
In Publish, you can boost Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn posts in the following scenarios:
- While creating a new Facebook post.
- While viewing an existing Facebook post.
- While viewing an existing Instagram image or video post.
- While viewing an existing LinkedIn text, link, image, or video post.
It's not possible to boost Instagram stories or carousel posts due to limitations of the network API.
In Measure, you can boost an existing Facebook or Instagram post as if you were doing so from Publish.
Boosting posts in Publish
When creating a new Facebook post in Publish or viewing an existing Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn post, you will see the Promote section on the left side of the Publish editor. Click Boost to boost your post. (Note that you must have an ad account connected to Social Media Management for the Boost button to appear).
If you would like to hide your boosted post from your Facebook Page Timeline, check the Dark post checkbox before boosting your post. Learn more about dark posts from Meta’s help center.
When you click to boost your post, you will have two options:
- Boost your post with an existing ad set you have previously created.
- Create a new ad set and campaign and to boost your post with (currently available for Facebook ad accounts only).
Alternatively, you can boost your post by applying a Smart Label on your post.
Smart Labels are predefined labels in Social Media Management that you can configure in Advertise to automatically add posts to ad sets that you have set up. Smart Labels are only available to users with access to Advertise.
Boosting a post with an existing ad set
When you click to boost your post with an existing ad set, Publish will bring in your list of existing ad sets you had already created in the native ads manager or in Advertise.
After selecting an ad set, click Continue and you will be able to preview your boosted post. Click Boost at the end of the prompts to boost your post.
Once you add your post to an ad set and define and apply the ad settings, your ad will show as In Review and will be reviewed by the native network. If your ad is rejected for any reason, you will receive an email with more information.
Once your ad is approved, your boosted post will display in Publish with a Promoted tag. If you boosted an existing Instagram post, a new Facebook dark post will be visible in Publish to reflect the promotion.
While promoting Instagram content in Publish, it will only be possible to select from existing ad sets that already include Instagram as a placement. You can still create new ad sets if needed during the boost post workflow.
Boosting a post with a new ad set and campaign
If you have permission to manage your Facebook ad account and have not yet created a campaign or ad set, you can do so from within Publish while boosting your post.
Currently, ad set or campaign creation while boosting posts in Publish is not supported for LinkedIn ad accounts.
- While creating or viewing a post in Publish, look for the Promote panel on the left-hand side of the interface. Click the Boost button to create an ad for your post. (Alternatively, if you have set up Smart Labels in Advertise, you can apply a Smart Label in the Labels panel to add your post to an existing ad set.)
- In the pop up, select an ad account you would like to create your new ad set in, and click the Create new ad set button. (Alternatively, you can choose one of your already existing ad sets and go directly to the ad creation).
- Choose an objective for your new ad campaign, or use an existing campaign to view those already created in Advertise or on Facebook natively.
- Give your ad set a name, set a budget, and define its start and end dates. Determine the targeting of your ad set by selecting either Use a Saved Audience or Target Manually. You can select targeting criteria such as location, languages, and interests, and use an existing Custom Audience or Lookalike Audience. Lastly, choose the placements of your ad. With Automatic placements, Facebook decides on the best placement to show your ad, while selecting Manual placements lets you pick the exact places where your ads should appear.
- After previewing your ad set, click Create in the bottom-right of the panel to save your ad set and use it later, or continue to boost your post by clicking Create and Boost.
- To finalize your ad set, set your ad duration and tracking and then click Boost.
Boosting a post with Smart Labels
If you have already set up Smart Labels in the Advertise module, you can apply a Smart Label to your post by following the steps below:
- While creating or viewing a post in the Publish Editor, look for the Labels module on the left-hand side.
- Type to search and select the Smart Label in the text box.
- Confirm your promotion in the approval popup.
You can link one Smart Label to multiple Ad Sets, which can have different active duration timelines. When you add the Smart Label while creating a post or on an already published post, ads will be created only in the Ad Sets that are active by that time.
Adding Smart Labels to a Publish campaign
A convenient way to utilize Smart Labels is to attach them to a Publish campaign. When you add Smart Labels to a campaign you have created in Publish, the Smart Labels will become associated with all stock items included in the campaign. As a result, when your team uses any of the applicable stock items to create new posts, the posts will be automatically boosted using the ad set and settings associated with the Smart Label.
To get started, please follow the steps below:
- While creating a Publish campaign, look for the Labels section under the Details tab.
- Type to search and select the applicable Smart Label in the text box. You can identify all Smart Labels by a unique icon.
- Check the Apply labels to stock checkbox in order to promote all content created from the stock items added to the Publish campaign.
Boosting posts in Measure
You can conveniently boost a previously published Facebook or Instagram post by viewing the post insights for it via Measure’s Content Performance or Label Performance widgets.
- In a Content Performance widget, click on the Post insights (graph) icon on a post in card view or to the right of the post in list view.
In a Label Performance widget, first click on a label to view its associated posts, then click the Post insights (graph) icon on the desired post.
- The Post Insights window will open to display a preview of your post along with several options for detailed insights. Scroll to the bottom of the Post Insights window and click Boost Post.
- Follow the above steps to select or create an ad set and boost your post.
Viewing boosted posts
You can find any post you have boosted in Publish by navigating to the Published section in Publish's left-hand sidebar menu.
Use the Filter dropdown to select the social network you would like to view posts for, then check the Promoted box to view only promoted posts for that network.
When you click on a published post, Publish will display which of your ad sets in Advertise was used to promote the post.